Saturday, May 23, 2015

Kindle Scout Program


My book, Indiscretion, has been on Amazon’s Kindle Scout program for an entire week as of today. It’s been on and off the “Hot and Trending” list, which I guess is natural. This is measured by how many people read the sample and nominate my book during a thirty-day period. I’ve done some promotion, but there’s a fine line between promo and overkill. I try to be cognizant of where that line is. That said, self-promotion has never been an easy fit for me.

So what is Kindle Scout, you ask? This is from the Kindle Scout website:

“Kindle Scout is reader-powered publishing for new, never-before-published books. It’s a place where readers help decide if a book gets published. Selected books will be published by Kindle Press and receive 5-year renewable terms, a $1,500 advance, 50% eBook royalty rate, easy rights reversions and featured Amazon marketing.”

Bloggers have debated the pros and cons of the program. From my point of view, the answer depends on where you are in the publishing world. I’ve self-published seven books with Amazon. The difference with Kindle Scout, besides the nice advance, unheard of for an indie writer, is the strength of Amazon’s marketing that I wouldn’t get otherwise.

No longer can writers just write. Due to the increased number of indie and hybrid writers and the plethora of free book promotions, we must now be creative to keep our books from falling into obscurity, in contrast to those days when I first started, way back in 2011. We now pay companies to advertise our free or specially priced promotions to their huge reader mailing lists, many times at high costs. The outlay is usually refunded by greater sales. We are social media experts, bloggers, promotional gurus, Pinterest pinners, LinkedIn joiners, Google+ members, and Twitter tweeters. We join groups to support each other and share writing tips and posts about the things we learn on our writing journey.

In order to submit to the program, Amazon Scout insists on a professional cover, editing, and formatting. If my book is chosen by reader nominations and the Amazon Scout Powers-That-Be, it will receive a complete edit.

I created the cover for Indiscretion, but after 25 years as an illustrator, and eight book covers under my belt (one for my alter ego), I have no problem immodestly calling my covers professionally designed. I would have to meet the same criteria if I decided to self-publish, so I’m used to the parameters established by Kindle Scout. From what I’ve tracked, most of the books chosen in the first few groups are doing well.

I tried something new with Indiscretion. I incorporated an actual crime, Boston’s 1990 Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum heist, with a fictional story. SO, unwilling to miss an opportunity, here’s my pitch for Indiscretion in 500 characters or less:

“Separated from her controlling husband, romance author Zoe Swan meets a charismatic art history professor on the beach and begins a torrid affair. But who is he really? By the time Zoe finds out, she’s on the run with her husband, his jewel thief brother, and a priceless painting stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. With the FBI and the murderer in pursuit, the trio heads to Boston. The only way to prove their innocence is to make a deal with the very people who want them dead.”

There’s a sample on the site. If you like what you read and would like to read more (if my book is picked, everyone who nominated it receives an electronic copy), consider clicking “Nominate me.” Sorry for the blatant self-promotion.

Here’s the link.

Thank you kindly if you do.



Polly Iyer is the author of seven novels: standalones Hooked, InSight, Murder Déjà Vu, Threads, and three books in the Diana Racine Psychic Suspense series, Mind Games, Goddess of the Moon, and Backlash. A Massachusetts native, she makes her home in the beautiful Piedmont region of South Carolina. You can visit her website for more on Polly and connect with her onFacebook and Twitter.

11 comments:

  1. I haven't had a chance to read Indiscretion yet, buy my (much) better half was an early reader for Polly's book and liked it a lot. Based on that alone, you should hop to it and nominate Indiscretion; I did.

    ~ Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim. There's a duplicate bridge connection in the story that might interest you.

      Delete
  2. I haven't had a chance either, but if it's like Polly's other works, I would strongly suggest it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff. Didn't know you read any of my books. I'm pleased you liked them.

      Delete
    2. I don't make a big fuss of it, but I do try to read a number of books by the more frequent participants to MMA. It helps when you interact with them, and you can suggest their books to others with honesty.

      Delete
  3. I have read this book, and I highly recommend it. Polly is a very talented author. I hope mystery fans will get behind her and nominate this book for the Kindle Scout program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Maggie. I wish I had your skill for promotion. I don't. But I appreciate the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops. I accidentally deleted my original comment. Argh. Anyway, just wanted to tell you congrats on your book being picked up by Kindle Press. I'm glad I'll be getting a free copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How could they not pick you up? You're novels are terrific. Tense, well written, and thoroughly enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete